The Icelandic Loop
PONANT takes you on a voyage of discovery in Iceland and the Arctic Circle for a truly exotic cruise on the trail of the Vikings.
For 8 days, Le Champlain will take you to extreme lands and breathtaking scenery. Glaciers, lava fields, geysers and steam baths – this is undoubtedly the place of all the superlatives.
You will embark in Reykjavik, the most northerly capital in the world. Houses with colourful roofs line its streets and this, coupled with the many ducks in its lake, produces a picture postcard setting. It boasts real cultural riches, particularly in contemporary art, notably with the Reykjavik Art Museum.
During the cruise, Le Champlain will cross the Arctic Circle, and sail towards the ice floe. You will then reach the small and remote island of Grímsey. This is the kingdom of birds such as guillemots and puffins. Its volcanic rock forms splendid basaltic columns in certain areas.
You will also call at Seydisfjördur, one of the most picturesque ports in the country and the gateway to a 1250-hectare nature reserve that is home to a multitude of birds.
To conclude you will discover Heimaey. The only inhabited island in the Westmann Islands, fishing is the main source of income in this exceptional site. You can admire its volcanoes and its almost-desert like landscapes.
- Discovery of Reykjavik, capital of Iceland.
- Optional Golden Circle excursion: the 3 most emblematic sites in Iceland.
- Sailing towards the ice floe and crossing the Arctic circle.
- Landscapes: vast glaciers, breathtaking fjords, volcanic rock, basalt pillars, jagged cliffs and geysers.
- Wildlife: puffins, blue-eyed cormorants, Arctic foxes, whales, gannets, Arctic terns.
- A passionate lecturer on board.